Campaigns are a flexible, native object that allow you to track your engagement efforts and performance in Salesforce. The great thing about Salesforce Campaigns is you can customize the fields and page layouts to fit your needs. Lightning has changed the ways we Interact with Campaigns, Setup, and especially page layouts.
This post is the second in a series of three blog posts about Salesforce Campaigns in Lightning. This post will provide an overview of how to customize Campaigns in Salesforce for the Lightning admin. If you’re interested in an overview of Campaigns, I suggest you start with the first post in this series, Salesforce Campaigns in Lightning. The third post, Manage Campaign Members in Lightning, walks you through how to manage Campaign Members step-by-step.
You can customize the values in standard fields such as the Type field. For example, you can use the Type field to identify the type of engagement the Campaign is for, such as Webinar, Conference, Event, Whitepaper, etc. If you have a special type of engagement that isn’t already listed you can add it to the Type as a picklist value. You can also build completely custom fields such as Targeted Persona or Product Interest. For example, you can add a Sub Type field that is dependent on the Type field to get more granular, so that when you select Advertising you are also prompted to select whether or not it’s Paid or Free advertising, or even Web Paid or Print Paid etc. Customizing fields depends on your marketing strategy or other ways you’re using Campaigns. If you’re using a Marketing Automation tool, keep this in mind when creating new fields.
To learn more I recommend you download the Salesforce Campaign Implementation Guide.
To Customize/build Fields go to Setup> Object Manager> Campaign> Fields & Relationships
Page Layouts and Record Types
You can and should organize your fields and page layouts in a way that lets you easily review, evaluate, and capture the right data to report on your Campaigns. You likely don’t need separate record types for every type of Campaign. You only need separate record types if the picklist values and page layouts are drastically different for each Campaign type. You can satisfy this need by using dependent picklists and customizing the values in the standard Campaign Type field. You can also use validation rules to make sure you’re capturing the necessary data for each Campaign type. Remember, keep it simple until there’s a very clear, easy to justify reason to make it more complex.
You can customize the Campaign’s Page to roll up data to see the the number of Campaign Members that have responded, the total cost, pipeline, and closed deals, and custom data as well. Campaign metrics are calculated by Salesforce and may not always be real-time. If you see a problem with the metrics you can file a case with Salesforce to rerun the calculation.
To Customize/build Page Layouts go to Setup>Object Manager> Campaign> Page Layouts
You can use the Lightning App Builder to customize even further.
Here are some of the great things you can do with Lightning App Builder:
- Use the “Related Record” component to actually highlight special fields on the current record such as the Campaign Type, Status, and Start and End Dates.
- Use a “Rich Text Area” component with conditional component visibility. You could use this to provide tips or rules for creating and managing campaigns specific to your business.
- Put a “Flow” component on a record to quickly update record info.
- Use the “Related List – Single” component inside the “Accordion” component to build space efficient pages for different layouts.
- Use “Path” to provide guidance for each stage on business process style objects, this allows you to quickly see the status of your campaign.
- Use the “Related Record” component to make connecting/creating a related record really fast! For example you could add a tab that displays record details for the Parent Campaign.
- Customize the number of Columns in your record pages.
- If you have a “Tabs” component, consider adding an “Analytics” tab with report charts for a quick snapshot of Campaign analytics right in the record page.
- More on using Lightning App Builder here.
To Customize the Campaign Record Page go to Setup>User Interface>Lightning App Builder
To learn how to customize in Lightning check out this Trailhead Module!
For more on this subject, check out part three of this series: Manage Campaign Members in Lightning